Where We Are
What Is Cristo Rey?
The Cristo Rey Network provides a quality, Catholic, college preparatory education to young people who live in urban communities with limited educational options. Our mission is clear – college success for Cristo Rey Network students. Member schools utilize a rigorous academic model, supported with effective instruction, to prepare students with a broad range of academic abilities for college. Cristo Rey Network schools employ an innovative Corporate Work Study Program that provides students with real world work experiences. Every student works five full days a month to fund the majority of his or her education, gain job experience, grow in self-confidence, and realize the relevance of his or her education. Students work at law firms, banks, hospitals, universities, and other professional Corporate Partners.
The Cristo Rey Network supports school success through the following programs:
Teach, Learn, Lead
- Developed a standards-based, rigorous college-ready curriculum
- Focuses on professional development of school principals and teachers, emphasizing teacher effectiveness training
- Provides data-driven decision-making to maximize student learning
- Connects students’ classroom learning to their workplace learning
- Optimizes the effectiveness of the schools’ Corporate Work Study Programs
- Supports member schools with particular finance, job or enrollment strategies
- Works with community groups in targeted cities to create more Cristo Rey Network schools
- Monitors the progress of Cristo Rey graduates while they are in college
- Works with colleges and universities that are committed to supporting Cristo Rey students to ensure postsecondary access and success for our alumni
- Grows current and future leaders at the schools and promotes ongoing spiritual formation, the sharing of best practices, as well as solutions to finance, strategic planning, and governance issues
Advocacy on National Education Reform
- Cristo Rey leaders serve as national voices in the movement of education reform through meetings with elected officials, letters to the media, and prominent speaking opportunities.
Corporate Partner’s Impact
By partnering with more than 2,000 businesses, Cristo Rey schools are changing the face of urban education in the United States. Assuming the role of an employee leasing agency, our schools have streamlined the process for employing their students. Students are not on the payroll of the employing organization; rather they are employees of the school’s separately incorporated Work Study Program, which the sponsoring organization pays quarterly, annually or monthly for the services of the students.
Work Study Program
Every Cristo Rey Network student takes a full course load of college preparatory coursework for four years, as he/she participates one day each week in a four-year Work Study Program to fund the majority of their tuition. Through this program, every student works in a professional setting (including but not limited to law firms, banks, hospitals and other professional services.) This relevant work experience not only provides our students with the opportunity to contribute financially to their education, but it reinforces in them the thinking strategies and lifelong learning behaviors emphasized in the classroom. The workplace experience allows students to apply and make connections from the classroom to the world of work. This unique combination of classroom learning and workplace learning prepares Cristo Rey Network students for success in high school, in college, and in the years to come.
Cristo Rey Press
Cristo Rey Schools: By The Numbers
Students Per Year
Students of Color
Cristo Rey Network
Corporate Work Study Partners