Applications are being sought for
Director of Guidance and Counseling
This position will create and implement a comprehensive support program to promote the social, emotional, spiritual, physical, and academic development of all students. The Director of Guidance and Counseling will help to create and sustain a culture of high expectations and continual support for all students, as well as promoting and enforcing a school environment that is professional and respectful of others. The Director of Guidance and Counseling will help students gain an understanding of the college admissions and financial aid process and direct students toward college readiness. The Director of Guidance is responsible to the Principal in all decisions and actions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Counsels individual and/or small groups of students with academic, career and personal/social concerns
- Assists students in developing a plan for achieving educational, career and personal/social goals
- Designs and teaches college readiness classes that support the college counseling process
- Establishes and maintains relationships with colleges, universities, outreach programs and scholarship programs
- Actively researches all aspects of college counseling: financial aid, scholarships, applications and standards
- Coordinates college visits and college fairs
- Manages the data in the Naviance college tracking system
- Consults with a variety of school-based teams to facilitate appropriate placement decisions to enhance student achievement, which includes but is not limited to exceptional student staffing’s, 504 determination meetings, and IEP meetings
- Confers with classroom teachers, administration, support staff, community agencies and parents regarding students and their needs
- Coordinates with school and community agencies to broaden the list of available resources for students
- With the assistant principal schedules meetings with parents of students who are on academic probation and create individualized student progress plans and contracts to promote achievement;
- Receives, reviews and determines the necessary actions to be taken for all counseling referrals made by faculty/staff, parents and students
- Develops and shares a scope and sequence of key skills and knowledge for parents of students at each grade level and holds parent meetings to build college investment and knowledge.
- Collaborates with Cristo Rey Network staff and schools to maximize college programming support.
- Cultivates an environment that promotes college and builds excitement and college knowledge
- Builds relationships with outside counselors and clinics in order to refer students in need of additional counseling services.
- Maintains relationships with staff from feeder middle schools
- Designs and executes a college application process for all students
- Serves on Student Support Team
- Assists the administration in developing and executing the development of educational plans for academic success, career awareness and personal/social growth issues.
- Identifies and disaggregates critical data, such as grades, test scores, attendance, promotion rates, graduation and postsecondary enrollment rate
- Follows the guidelines of the national, state and school standards for professional school counselors
- Adheres to ethical and legal professional standards
- Uses appropriate technology for counseling services
- Performs other related duties, as required.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in counseling and/or State of Florida School Counselor certification or eligibility for Florida State certification.
- Commitment to the mission of Cristo Rey Tampa High as a leader in the education of students from underserved populations
- Experience and knowledge in using a computer based system for college applications
Orientation to and/or experience in a school setting.
Please email your application (found on the website cristoreytampa.org) under the About Us/Employment tab, a current resume and a cover letter expressing interest, two professional references and one personal reference to Ana Cardona, Executive Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org. It is most expedient to send all information requested in one email. Cristo Rey Tampa will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin in the hiring process. Receipt of application with other instructions will be sent shortly after receiving your completed application along with other items requested.
Application deadline: position open until filled.